Pages

24.3.11

JAPAN


Today was going to be the first day of my vacation. Right now, I was supposed to be done packing and heading to the airport for a flight to Japan. Once I got to Japan, I was supposed to call my best friends from HS and have a really awesome meal while filling each other in on all the important moments and details of our lives and reminiscing of the times we had in Thailand. Within the next couple of days, I was going to: 1) follow the footsteps of many super foodies and visit the Tsukiji Fish Market, 2) do some fun people watching in Shibuya/Shinjuku, 3) spend several glorious hours at Studio Ghibli, 4) sleep in a capsule, 5) have a lovely picnic surrounded by cherry blossoms, 6) eat eat eat in Osaka, 7) take a picture with the clown, 8) spa it up old school style in Kyoto and 9) build memories that will forever bind my heart with Japan and my fellow travelers.

It doesn't always turn out the way you want it to. My prayers go out to Japan and for those who have lost their houses, their friends and their loved ones. 

Huge, long drawn out bear hugs to Maki & Akiko. I promise to see you soon.

---
I love that there are so many different ways people have been providing support to Japan. Last night, I took a moment to step back and observe all the folks at the CAPE Japan Fundraiser. Children, adults, musicians, young professionals, corporate sponsors, media, professional dancers, comedians, restaurant owners, caterers, actors, photographers, students, volunteers -- all supporting in their own way, whether it's through their food, their time, their money or their contacts...such a beautiful sight to see.



I was very lucky to be able to work on this PSA. On the day of this shoot, there was this silent, underlying understanding of why we were all there, doing what we were doing. The energy was calm, strong and very focused. I remember Tamilyn Tomita and Harry Shum Jr. both saying (paraphrased) that during these times, we find encouragement in realizing that we are all the same, that we're all in this together.

If you have not done so already, please support. In any way you can.

No comments: